The origins of Melbourne Grammar School lie in the vision and perseverance of Melbourne's first young Church of England Bishop, Charles Perry, who founded the Diocese of Melbourne.Charles Perry opened an 'experimental' grammar school in 1849 at St Peter's Eastern Hill (East Melbourne) to meet the growing educational needs of the young colony.
Almost ten years later his dream of building a permanent, centrally located grammar school was realised with a grant from the Colonial Government of 15 acres on St Kilda Road. Melbourne Church of England Grammar School opened in 1858 with Dr John Bromby as the first Headmaster and 136 students enrolling in the first year.
In its 150 years, Melbourne Grammar School has produced distinguished and varied graduates from its bluestone walls. Three Prime Ministers, Antarctic explorers, over one hundred Anglican clergy, the first Australian artist to be admitted to the Royal Academy, servicemen, academics, businessmen, industrialists, members of professions, musicians, actors, politicians, farmers, and many other Australians who have made invaluable contributions to this country's growth.
The School's history is embodied in the lives and achievements of all who have learnt and taught here.
A history of the School, Challenging Traditions by Weston Bate and Helen Penrose, was published in 2002 and is an invaluable reference.
As part of an extensive programme of celebrations for Melbourne Grammar's sesquicentenary year in 2008 we published profiles of 150 notable school graduates.
Additionally, in 2011, the School began digitising a large number of archival photos. You can see the fruits of that (still ongoing) labour by clicking here.
Interested in the history of Melbourne Grammar School? Our purpose built archival gallery houses photographs, documents, uniforms and other records and memorabilia.
It may be visited by appointment during term time at The Lodge, 355 St Kilda Road, Ph: (03) 9865 7681.