Melbourne Grammar’s Middle School, Wadhurst, has been the most developed of the three campuses. Over a century, buildings have been built, renovated, demolished and rebuilt on our restricted triangle of land at the corner of Domain and St Kilda Roads.
The original Wadhurst was built in 1878 by Mr Morris, the School’s second Headmaster, at his own expense to serve as a master’s house and boarding house. With further additions, it later became a preparatory school and the Domain Road buildings, including the assembly hall, were dedicated in 1940.
Each decade brought further development: the Harry Stokes Memorial Playground in 1955; a new wing in memory of Sir Robert Knox’s grandson, Robert Lindsay, in 1967; a circular library in 1974; restoration of the quadrangle in 1981; and a music school in 1989.
In 1986 Wadhurst underwent an extensive re-development and new facilities were created for a Middle School tailored specifically to the academic, pastoral, social, physical, spiritual and emotional needs of boys in Years 7 and 8. A contemporary addition designed by Swaney Draper Architects maintains the facade of one of the older buildings and was opened by the Prime Minister John Howard in 2000.
Now housing 350 day and boarding students, Wadhurst has developed into a comprehensive learning community for boys as they move from primary to senior schooling.