The Old Melburnians War Memorial Hall, or Mem Hall as it is affectionately known, is one of the busiest hubs of the Senior School — our meeting place for Senior School assemblies, ceremonial occasions, theatrical productions, musical concerts, exams and more.
The building includes:
- a large assembly area over two levels, home to countless gatherings each year.
- a professional level performance stage with full theatre fit-out.
- an orchestra pit which can be raised or lowered and has a direct connection to the adjacent underground Shelmerdine Studio.
- the Sanctuary, a quiet place which displays the names of all Old Melburnians who have given their lives defending Australia in military conflicts.
Click on an image to find out more.
The building of The Old Melburnians War Memorial Hall was a gift from Old Melburnians to commemorate the lives of 210 of their fellow alumni and Melbourne Grammar staff who fell in WWI. The foundation stone was laid in 1927 and the building was opened a year later.
The foyer is known as the Sanctuary. Although originally listing only WWI fallen, the walls of this revered space now holds the names of all Old Melburnians who have given their lives defending Australia in military conflicts.